Dish Network was fined $280 million for using illegal robocalls to promote services in Ohio, Illinois, North Carolina, and California. Dish Network was telemarketing services to consumers registered on the “Do Not Call” list, a national registry provided by the Federal Trade Commission that allows consumers to register any number to avoid receiving future robocalls from any company. To learn more about the FTC’s Do Not Call list please read our article Robocalls and Junk Faxes. $168 million of the fine goes to the federal government and $84 million to Ohio, California, Illinois, and North Carolina. Dish Network violated the Do Not Call Registry and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Ohio, California, and North Carolina will receive an additional $28 million from Dish Network for violations of specific state laws.
The TCPA protects consumers from unwanted phone calls known as robocalls. Here are some of the regulations telemarketers must follow when soliciting their services over the phone. The lawyers at Doucet & Associates Co LPA have experience fighting for consumer rights under the TCPA.
- The company must provide the name of the company.
- If 3rd party company is making the call, then the name of the company the call is representing must be mentioned.
- Must provide a return contact phone number.
- An address at which the company can be reached.
- Companies are not allowed to robocall phone numbers registered on the Do Not Call list.
- Cannot call consumers before 8 am or after 9 pm.
- Companies must also provide consumers with the option to be removed from that companies calling list.
You can read more about consumer TCPA rights regarding robocalls by reading Lawyers Who Stop Junk Faxes, Texts, and Robo-calls to cell phones on our website. Doucet & Associates Co LPA is a consumer litigation law firm that helps protect consumers in Ohio from unwanted robocalls. If you are receiving robocalls from a business please contact us for help at (614)-944-5219 or send us a message online. Also, please read our case results by clicking here to see how we have help consumers in Ohio whose TCPA rights have been violated. Damages of lawsuits involving TCPA violations can result in the consumer receiving up to $1,500 per robocall and may be able to recover all attorneys fees from the other side.